Week 2 of My Vegan Challenge


It's Week 2 of My Vegan Challenge and I must say this is easier than I thought it would be. I guess it's because I have been religiously following a whole foods diet for 5 years. I've been enjoying some scrumptious foods. Handmade nori rolls packed with fresh veggies, hummus, homemade guacamole, brown rice...pretty much anything leftover in my fridge. Lots of whole grains to keep my belly satisfied. Quinoa, brown rice, millet, buckwheat and spelt, just to name a few. Homemade minestrone, bean soups and vegan burritos. My mouth is watering just thinking of the delicious foods I've been eating.

Since starting my challenge 9 days ago I've learned the key to transitioning to a vegan diet is to:
a) Eat frequently (I've been eating small meals every 3 hours) to avoid blood sugar drops which equals: bitchiness, cravings, tiredness and more bitchiness.
b)Eat a variety of foods to make sure you are getting enough nutrients and to prevent cravings.
c) Include a ton of whole grains to keep you satisfied. Meat and Dairy give you that "full" and "heavy" feeling after you eat and often when people stop eating these foods they think they need to feel "heavy" and "full" for your body to actually be satisfied. When in fact that "heavy" and "full" feeling is your digestive system being overloaded with too much food and/or the wrong combination of foods and/or working extra hard to metabolize the meal.
d) Have a support system! The last thing you need is your significant other waving a juicy steak in front of you while you are eating your veggie ground (luckily and a little surprisingly, Chris has been super supportive).

Speaking of significant others....

My hubby loves my non-vegan banana bread (I don't blame him, it rocks!) but I just knew it would be such a tease if I made it and couldn't enjoy it myself. So, I searched the internet for a vegan banana bread recipe and came across quite a few. I wasn't very happy with a lot of the ingredients being used so I substituted a few ingredients here and there and came up with my own Vegan Banana Bread recipe. It is delicious and a MUST to try! Do it! You won't regret it!

Melissa's Vegan Banana Bread

3 large ripe bananas
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup canola oil or vegan margarine
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons amber agave nectar
1 cup all-purpose spelt flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or vegan chocolate chips (optional)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.

In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas really well. Add the sugar, applesauce, oil and agave nectar. Mix well by hand or in mixer on low speed.

Sift in the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Fold in walnuts or chocolate chips (optional)

Transfer batter to prepared loaf pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes.

Insert toothpick in center of loaf. Toothpick should come out moist but NOT gunky or sticky.

Remove from oven and let cool before enjoying your masterpiece.

0 comments:

Post a Comment