Breakfast: Why is it SO important?

Morning Glory Oatmeal - see recipe below

It has long been said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but is it really true?

I certainly know that when first meeting with my clients they confess they rather sleep-in than grab some grub in the morning.  I certainly have been guilty of neglecting my breakfast on many occasions and believe me when I say I do not function to the best of my ability without it.  In fact, I am a complete space cadet sans my breakie. It has become a habit, like all things, the breakfast ritual. I mean if I am feeding it to my son and preaching how important it is to him and my clients than why wouldn't I eat it myself? You simply have to make time for it just like you make time to brush your teeth in the morning. It's of the same importance!

So why is it so important to eat breakfast?

Filler up
Breakfast is breaking the fast because after sleeping for eight hours and being without food during the night, our brain and muscles need energy to function. You've basically been starving your body the entire time you were in dreamland.  Eating breakfast within 1 hour of waking to break the fast will give your body the much needed glucose found in your food to give you energy. Food is your energy like gas is a car's fuel. Without it you will stale (unable to concentrate), break down (mental and physical fatigue) and perhaps end up in scrap yard somewhere not knowing how you got there (confusion). Hey, you never know! With this rush of nutrients and glucose to your brain, you are better able to concentrate, focus, be productive, have a better short-term memory and be in a better mood! Your family, friends and colleagues will appreciate it and so will your body!

Eat more weigh less
Research has shown a connection between skipping breakfast and being overweight?  People who skip breakfast are more prone to being overweight or obese than those who have their breakfasts regularly. I have been a Nutritionist and Fitness Professional for almost a decade. Almost every single person who has walked into my door who is overweight or obese had a habit of regularly skipping breakfast. Fact.  Until they meet me and I convinced them to take their breakfast seriously. Fact. They lost weight. Fact. Felt more energized. Fact. Made better choices throughout the day. Fact. And were in a better mood. Fact.

I challenge you to eat breakfast, within 1 hour of waking up, every morning for 1 week and report back to me. Deal? You can start by trying my very own, Morning Glory Oatmeal. Quick, hearty and wholesome. You'll love it! Fact. 



Morning Glory Oatmeal

What you'll need:

1/2 Quick Oats (the quicker, the better.  I'm a busy mom. I like PC Organics Quick Oats )
1 cup Water
1 cup Soy Milk (I like PC Organics Original Fortified Soy beverage)
1 tbsp Ground Flax Seed
1 tbsp White Chia Seeds
1/3 cup combination raw almond slivers, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and dates (or try a prepackaged combo such as: JK Gourmet Hazelnut and Date Granola or ShaSha Co. Buckwheat Snack)
1 tbsp Pure Canadian Maple Syrup (I like PC Organics 100% Pure Maple Syrup)
1/3 cup Fresh Berries
Cinnamon to taste

What to do:

1) In a small saucepan bring 1 cup of water to a boil.
2) Add quick oats and let simmer while stirring until water is absorbed.
3) Add soy milk and stir until preferred consistency.
4) Stir in flax seed, maple syrup and cinnamon.
5) Remove from heat and pour in bowl.
6) Top oatmeal with raw nuts, seeds and date combo, chia seeds and berries.
7) Serve and enjoy!

Cook time approx. 5mins


The information presented here is not intended to replace professional medical care when needed. Consult a qualified healthcare practitioner for disease diagnosis, therapy choice, medicine selection and dosage. 

The photograph in this blog post belongs to Melissa Macchione. Unauthorized use is prohibited. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment